Disclaimer:

The opinions expressed and links in the following posts are completed by Deuel High School students and do not necessarily reflect the views of the other students, teachers, the school board or administration of the School District. Please join in the conversation with the students as we encourage your thoughts and opinions as well. If you choose not to identify yourself, the comment may not be approved.

Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Alaska: Not All Snow

A few summers ago, I believe in 2006, my family and I went on a little vacation to Alaska. My mom, dad, aunt, uncle and I all packed up and headed north to visit my mom and aunts brother. I have a ton of family up there that I haven't seen in forever, if at all. Seeing a whole new side of the family in such a different place was pretty cool. We went during July, so the temperatures weren't too cold. It was around 60 degrees and a little cloudy every day.
We didn't stay in Wasilla very long before we headed to Homer for a fishing trip, Fairbanks and the North Pole. We also went to Seward for an all day cruise of the glaciers along the coast. I got to see Mt. McKinley through the clouds. I also learned that there are volcanoes in Alaska, which I would have never guessed with the colder temps. The picture to the left is of me and my dad on the beaches in Homer during high tide. A few seconds before the picture was taken the tide would have been in the very far end of the photo. That day we went on an overnight halibut fishing trip. Dad ended up getting sea sick, and wasn't so tough after all! We spent most of our time on the road discovering every single part of Alaska. Driving through the mountains was a little scary because of falling rocks, but we survived. During a detour stop, we even got to stand a few feet away from a moose on the side of the road. The moose up there are huge, sometimes even big enough to drive a Geo Metro through its legs. I wouldn't suggest doing that though.
I hope to go back to Alaska soon! My dad would prefer going there sooner rather than later to go moose hunting with my family. I'm not so sure about that idea because I'm not the "roughing it" type. Maybe this time we'll be able to relax at home with the family for awhile instead of driving all over the world.

No comments:

Post a Comment